Vertebroplasty in India
Approximately 85% fractures in old age are caused by osteoporosis (a condition in which total mass of the bones decrease) and remaining 15% are caused by bone weakness caused by other conditions or spread of cancer to the bones. Out of these one third patients may present with significant pain in spite of non-operative measures like bed rest, hospitalization, pain killer medications or bracing.
Vertebroplasty is a procedure in which a special type of synthetic cement material is injected inside the broken spine bone, giving excellent results in pain relief with very low incidence of side effects, can be performed in the out patient setting under local anesthesia and light sedation, there by obviating the need of expensive and extensive surgical procedures which usually have high incidence of morbidities and mortalities in such group of patients.
The patients can be discharged the same evening or the next day and are able to walk .Procedure can be safely done in osteoporotic fractures, painful spine bones after spread of cancer, non cancerous painful tumors of spine bones or to augment strength of weak spine bone prior to insertion of screws to increase the holding power of the weak bones for other surgical procedures.
Vertebroplasty is a procedure in which a special medical-grade cement mixture is injected into a fractured vertebra. The vertebrae are the small bones that make up the spine. When they become fractured, you will often experience pain and a loss of mobility. When vertebroplasty is successful, the cement mixture injection stabilizes the vertebra and allows you to return to normal activity after a recovery period. Reasons for the procedure The main reason you would need a vertebroplasty is treat a fractured vertebra in your spine that’s causing pain and reduced function. Not all people with fractured vertebrae are candidates for a vertebroplasty, however. Your doctor may try other, more conservative methods of treating the pain first: bed rest, pain relievers, muscle relaxants, back braces, or physical therapy. These are reasons that your doctor may consider a vertebroplasty for your fractured vertebra:
• Traditional methods of treating your fractured vertebra or back pain fail.
• You suffer from severe or prolonged pain or immobility.
The fractured vertebra has led to more serious complications, such as deep vein thrombosis, acceleration of osteoporosis, respiratory problems, loss of height, or other emotional or social issues.
you will be probably lie flat on your back for one hour while the cement hardens. After the procedure Once the procedure is complete and the cement has hardened, you will likely remain in an observation room for an additional one to two hours. This will allow the doctor to make sure that the procedure was successful. You will then likely be able to stand and walk with little or no pain. You may experience pain relief almost immediately after the procedure, but for some people it takes up to 72 hours. Your doctor may provide you with over-the-counter pain relievers to help ease the discomfort. Before you are discharged from the hospital, the doctor will probably perform an assessment of your pain and check for any possible complications. You can also expect a follow-up office visit in the coming weeks to make sure that the procedure has continued to be successful for you.
Vertebroplasty is considered for patients with painful compression fractures in the spine, often caused by osteoporosis. Because the treatment often results in a dramatic decrease in pain, the advantages are numerous.
Decreased pain. A compression fracture causes sharp and debilitating pain. Those suffering from these fractures are often prescribed bed rest and pain medication. Vertebroplasty reduces and in some cases eliminates the need for pain medication, and it also restores mobility in many patients.
Increased functional abilities. The pain from a compression fracture is usually sharp and debilitating, leaving people unable to perform everyday tasks. Vertebroplasty stabilizes the fracture, decreases pain dramatically and allows a return to the previous level of activity.
Prevention of further vertebral collapse. The cement fills spaces in bones made porous by osteoporosis, strengthening the bone so that it is less likely to fracture again
You may want to ask some questions before your treatment begins: