Any type of surgery performed on a bone or joint is considered a type of orthopedic surgery. Injuries to the elbow are common in athletes, such as those who play contact sports, as well as tennis, golf, and baseball or football, but are also caused by falls or accidents. Several types of elbow surgery are available for treatment, depending on the damage done to bone, muscular tissues or tendons and ligaments.
Elbow joint replacement, also known as Total elbow arthroplasty or Endoprosthetic elbow replacement, is the surgery to replace the worn out bones of the elbow joint with man- made joints of metal or plastic. Elbow replacement surgery is quite successful; the success rate is more than 90%. The procedure is thus becoming quite popular among patients and surgeons in aging adults to replace suffering from arthritis and fracture.
Elbow replacement was first done to replace joints damaged by RA. Its success rate is still highest among people with arthritis who are highly motivated and in the best health. Because early mechanical failure is more likely to occur among younger, more active people. Elbow Replacement Surgery is most suited for people older than 60 years of age. In recent years, candidates for elbow replacement have included more than just people with RA. Others who might consider elbow replacement in India include people whose elbows have been damaged by:
• Joint disease
• Arthritis after injury (traumatic arthritis)
• Arthritis after previous surgery
• Acute fractures in the upper or lower arm near the elbow
• Arthritis after injury (traumatic arthritis
• Tumors or tumor resection
Tennis Elbow Surgery - Tennis elbow surgery consists of making an incision over the outside of the joint, and locating the area of the tendon that has suffered damage. Tennis Elbow, also known as lateral epicondylitis, is the most common treatment available for patients seeking surgical treatment for elbow joint pain. It is caused due to small tears of the ligaments that attach forearm muscles to the arm bone in the elbow joint.
Elbow Arthritis Surgery - Also known as Elbow debridement, Elbow Arthritis Surgery is a type of surgery wherein arthritis causes significant loss of movement. During the surgery, a 10 centimeter incision is made on the back of the elbow. Thereafter, all the loose bodies and bone spurs that are hindering elbow movement are removed. A fenestration is then made at the end of the arm bon
Arthroscopic Elbow Surgery - It is used to diagnose and treat conditions inside the joint.
• Open carpal tunnel release surgery, which allows the doctor to see more of the inner tissues, including the full width of the transverse carpal ligament where it is to be cut. Open surgery requires an incision in the palm and wrist, which disturbs more of the tissues in the hand, and requires a longer recovery period. It leaves a larger scar than does endoscopic surgery. But there may be less chance of other complications. See a picture of open carpal tunnel surgery.
• Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery, which requires only a small incision at the wrist (single-portal technique) or at the wrist and palm (two-portal technique), and which disturbs less tissue in the hand. Recovery is quicker than with open surgery. And the scars heal more quickly, are smaller, and tend to be less painful at 3 months after surgery. There may be a slightly higher rate of reoperation after endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery. See a picture of endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery.
Elbow surgery is one of the most successful joint replacement procedure and most patients are happy with the result.
• It improves flexibility
• Prevents further deterioration and the risk of a disability
• Return to independence and normal routine
• It relieves pain and comfort
• Elbow replacement surgery enables them to return to their normal way of life
• Return to work, drive a car or use public transport and participate in sports and exercise. Freedom and independence back
Simple exercises and other types of physiotherapy will need to be done to increase the strength and mobility of your arm. Typical range-of-motion exercises include bending, straightening, palm down, and palm up exercises.
Elbow replacement usually reduces pain and improves elbow function during sleep and activities of daily living. If you take care of your elbow after surgery and avoid activities that can damage your elbow, you can expect to enjoy the benefits of the surgery for decades.
How do I make an appointment with Best Orthopedic Surgeon in India?